The Dangers of Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

0
84
Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Grapes and raisins (dried grapes) can be potentially fatal if ingested by your canine. While the cause of the poisoning is not yet known, much research shows that even the smallest bit can cause sudden and acute kidney failure and lead to the death of the animal.

Symptoms of Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Not all dogs exhibit kidney failure, and other symptoms may present themselves if Fido decides to taste the forbidden fruit.

  • Diarrhea and/or vomiting – These symptoms may present themselves within just a few short hours of ingesting the fruit. After twenty-four hours or so, evidence of the fruit may be noticeable in the vomit or fecal matter expelled.
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, lack of energy, weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Little or no passing of urine
  • Kidney failure
  • Death

Quick Action could Save your Dog’s Life

If you absolutely know your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, it’s important that you act fast. Inducing vomiting will help prevent his body from absorbing the toxins within the fruit. You can induce vomiting by giving your pet one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide for every five pounds of weight, not to exceed three tablespoons. If he does not vomit within ten minutes, you can repeat the dose. After three doses spaced ten minutes apart, stop giving him the peroxide treatment and get him to a vet immediately.

Whether your dog vomits or not, he will need to be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible to check for continued poison or damage.

Veterinary Treatment for Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

If Fido is exhibiting signs of grape and raisin poisoning, but you didn’t actually see him ingest the fruit, your vet will conduct tests to determine what’s going on inside his body. If he suspects grapes or raisins to be the culprit, he may prescribe activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins in your pet’s system. He will also conduct blood work and a urinalysis to see how the kidneys are functioning.

Depending on the results of the tests, your vet may see the need for a stomach washing/lavage treatment as well as IV fluids to help keep the pet hydrated and encourage urine production in the kidneys. Your pet may also be prescribed medications that promote urine production, or be placed on dialysis while the kidneys heal.

Grape and Raisin Poisoning Prevention

The best course of action is to ensure your pet does not have access to grapes, raisins or foods containing the fruit. If you grow grapes in your garden, make sure you have fencing around the area so your dog can’t gain access. If you think your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, quick action on your part can save his life.

LEAVE A REPLY